Thursday, November 17, 2011

How to Keep Your Water Cooler Safe

I was chatting with co-workers in the break area about the recently installed water cooler. Most of us were extolling the virtues and benefits of the device. I stated how wonderful I thought it would be to be able to refill my water bottle with ice cold spring water throughout the day for free. I also made a point of the fact that, when filling a bottle, I was careful to ensure that the opening of the water bottle did not make contact with the water cooler spigot. One of my colleagues asked me how I could be sure that other people were using the same precaution.

It occurred to me that I could not be sure. I thought about posting a sign admonishing all to be prudent when filling water bottles. I even considered recommending that cups be used instead. I never got around to posting the sign but I did monitor the way that people used the water cooler. I found it disturbing that most of the people, when filling their personal water bottle, allowed the opening to come into direct contact with the water cooler spigot. One day I saw a good friend of mine heading toward the water cooler. As I watched him from behind, I noticed that his arm was at a ninety degree angle and I assumed he was carrying a cup.

Water Dispenser

Mike was getting up there in years and was just getting over a bad cold that kept him away from work the previous week. Concerned about his health, I raced to intercept him. "Mike!" I shouted. "You don't want to..." Just then I noticed that it was not a cup he was about to fill but a used sixteen ounce plastic water bottle, its diseased opening in firm contact with the bacteria coated spigot. "Hey, Rol", he replied. "What's wrong?" "Oh, uh, you don't want to use the hot water...the handle is broken" I awkwardly replied.

How to Keep Your Water Cooler Safe

That prompted me to post the sign later that day: DO NOT TOUCH THE WATER SPIGOT WITH YOUR HANDS OR THE EDGE OF THE CONTAINER YOU ARE FILLING!

How to Keep Your Water Cooler Safe

Hi. My name is Roland and I love to draw. I have always wondered why some people believe that drawing is a talent that some people are born with. I don't believe that to be 100% true. What I do believe is that anyone with the desire to learn how to draw can do so. If you want to learn how to draw visit my website:

[http://learntodrawcartoonsonline.com]

Roland Bonay is a Systems Engineer in New Jersey. He enjoys drawing, writing, photography and cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment